Sunday, February 10, 2008

Denim

I haven't bought jeans since the party in September.

All my jeans before then had been at least a size 50 or above. When I first started training, I was a size 54. The largest size ever that I remember being was a size 60 or 62. When the weight started to come off during the training, I would wait for the jeans for the jeans to become really baggy and almost falling off before going out and buying new pants.

Mainly, I was being cheap. Being a person that has always had to buy from the special section his entire life, I can attest that the prices of clothing are more expensive. All the way from the husky kids section to the Casual Male Big and Tall stores, it seems to be a little more pricey for brands that are unheard of outside the plus size section.

But I digress....

When I bought those jeans for the party in September, it was quite a shock. I found that I could fit in a size 44. It was the smallest size that I could remember fitting into since high school. I remember picking up this new size jean and noticing how much smaller lighter they were in comparison from the pair I had worn going into the changing room. It only makes sense of course, the smaller the amount of body you have to cover with clothes, the less clothes you need!

The real cool thing was that this size was the smallest of the pant sizes usually carried by big and tall stores. My shirt size had gone down to the small 2XL/large XL range at this point.

I was finally free from having to shop at "plus size" specialty stores!

This week I noticed that those jeans I bought in September were baggy. When I had first tried them on, they were skin tight, I felt that they were form fitting. The fact that they were loose was a little perplexing when you consider that I have been at plateau in terms of the weight.

So I'm off to Old Navy. I've never been able to shop there before. I'm actually within the sizes that they have in stock. It will be nice to not have to pay sixty bucks for a generic pair of jeans.

4 comments:

Angelo said...

Congrats, Pat!! You're doing great. Keep up the good (and hard) work. I saw that one of your goals is to ride a century and I'd like to join you. I rode the 2005 & 2006 century but missed out on the 2007. I have sworn to ride the '08. Maybe we can start riding together for the '08 once I can type with two hands again. I also want to ride the Harlem River Valley Rail Ride (75 mi) which kicked my ass two years ago an I have an extra spot on my bike rack if you're interested.

Pat_V said...

You're on dude!!!

When your shoulder gets better, lets set up a schedule.

Lyds said...

wow--- I actually teared up when I read this post about shopping at Old Navy. HOW GREAT! (Now STOP smoking!) xxoo Lydia

Anonymous said...

Pat - you have to give us an update on your Old Navy adventure!!!!! =)