Sunday, March 9, 2008

I was nosing around the information part of the intrawebs yesterday and had found this.

It's and interview with Michael Pollan, author of The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals talking about his new book In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto.

In the interview he talks about the lack of government regulation over the food industry and how the industry itself has taken cheap whole food elements such as corn, soy, oats and has to process it into overcharged food-like items.

Rolled oats only cost 47 cents a pound, but if you mill the fiber out of it, enrich it with vitamins, put preservatives in them so that they have a one year shelf life, you can roll them into tiny little Os and sell it for 5 bucks a box.

Its definitely a good read and a subject that I'm going to investigate more. Pollan goes into how the industry has created government policy towards food and the consequences on the public.

Its not exactly exercise related but it is fitness related. I know that if I had been really strict with my diet, I'd probably be down 125 pounds by now. But I'm happy with what I have done so far and that this is a lifestyle change, not a conversion into monk-dom. There's going to be ups and downs as well as lapses that have to be made up for. After 35 years of looking at food one way, its going to take a while to change totally but at least I'm headed in the right direction.



0 comments: