Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Denim Part 2

I'm really not used to shopping in regular places. Click here for more my past thoughts. So when the time came around for me to buy a pair of jeans from a regular clothing store, I really had no idea about where to go.

I'm not a shopper....What can I say? And even though there is a mall in Manhattan, as well as Manhattan island itself turning into a gigantic mall, the thought never occurred in my mind to schlep up to the mall on 34th and Broadway.

The first thing that came to mind was the Levi's store on Broadway and Prince Street. Since the gym is only a block away from this location and two of my clients is next door, I thought,"Hey! I need jeans, there's a jeans store!" I strolled uptown on Broadway on a cold Saturday.

I walked in and was looked every model of jeans. I had no idea that there all these models of Levis jeans. I scanned the wall on the side and saw 501s... 505s... 507s... 514s... 560s.. 720s... 180s... 360s... 3.14159265358979s... All of each model, then separated in cut, classic cut, relaxed cut, boot cut, straight cut, lo-rider cut, Urkle cut, robot cut, tutu cut.....

I looked at the sizes on the wall and saw the 501s. I've never owned a pair of button fly jeans before and had always wanted a pair. It seems like such a small thing, but when you've spend your high school years wearing dress pants or jeans with "hidden elastic expandable waistbands", button-fly jeans are a figment of the imagination (or advertising).

Instead of grabbing a pair one size below the size that I was currently wearing, I got a two pairs two sizes below from the shelf. One pair a boot cut and the other a straight cut and marched into the dressing room....

....And they fit! I was actually able to close each button! I actually had to choose between the two cuts to see which one fit my body better.

It wasn't until about five years ago did clothing manufacturers accepted the fact that big and tall sized people may need different cuts in a size to have the garment look flattering on the body. Before that point we were relegated to just being happy that they made a size that covered our bodies.

I walked out of the dressing room quite happy. And then I looked at the price....

I was happy to be finally free of having to not pay the premium for clothing and here I was, ready to shell out for these jeans at whatever the store wanted. I asked myself, what the hell I was doing? Where was the advantage of being able to shop anywhere I chose?

I walked out of the store a little disgusted at myself. I did want a pair of button-fly jeans, but I figured they could wait a little while longer, there were better things that I could spend the money on, like for instance, chipping in with Ben and Renee on a bike for Renelle's birthday.

As I walked home, I saw that there was an Old Navy just down the block. For the same price, I was able to pickup a pair of jeans as well as five sets of boxers for myself.

Maybe I'm more of shopper than I care to admit.... At least now, I'm not limited.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update pat! that is awesome! i'm so excited for you!!! =)

Anonymous said...

Duh.. shopping is in our blood Bro'.... Mom never paid full price on anything. She was Good at the art of haggling too.